Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Still Doll

All you who love stories, gather round...

Song: "Still Doll" (Vampire Knight ending theme) by Wakeshima Kanon & Mana
Lyrics: animelyrics  (also in Youtube description)
Theme: Kraehe/Rue and Duck and their love of Mytho (mainly how it causes problems)
Spoilers: No


Review: This is a really pretty video, and the song has just enough elegance and off-kilter-ness/creepiness to fit both Rue's and Duck's situations.
I love the opening with the fairytale pieces, monocromicity with the pointed cello and violin accents... Really fits well. And then the chimes come in with the girls~ Fantastic alignment!
I really like that the creator interspersed both girls throughout, but there were times when I thought maybe there could have been more focus on just one of them, like for an entire verse or something. It would have felt more composed/coherent, I believe. Still flows nice as is, though.
The lyrics go rather nicely, "my heart is torn and bleeding/ I mend it but/ the memories pierce the openings." But while this fits both girls, Rue and her memories of Kraehe (or Tutu), Tutu/Duck and her memories of the curse and her being a duck, the lack of focus on a single point kind-of detracts from the awesomeness.
I will say that I really like the violin going all crazy when Rue's accepting herself as Kraehe. Also, as it gets into the last verse, the song talks about how "I can't sing songs of love anymore," which coincides with Kraehe crying and Tutu falling. Then the poignant "Still you do not answer..." while they both cry out. The ending with Rue doing her Macabre Dance is beautiful, as well.
I feel I have to say that this piece as a whole lacks coherency, though. Even if you're not watching it for the lyrics, or don't care how those match, it seems to not quite hold together. It's beautiful, and very nice to watch, but I feel like it could've been more.

Overall Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment