Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fakir Will Try

All you who love stories, gather round...

Song: "I'll Try" by Jonatha Brooke (from the movie 'Return to Neverland')
Lyrics: stlyrics
Theme: Fakir and his struggles with himself (and others somewhat)
Spoilers: Yes




Review: I loved this song since I first heard it with Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland. In fact, since we had the DVD, I went to the special features and played the song over and over and over again while my parents were at work. (though I'm sure they heard it enough too XD) I had kind-of forgotten about it again until this video popped up. And it fits perfectly. The pacing of the song, the smoothness of the clips, the lyrics... Just everything. I'm pretty sure I cried when I first watched this video. If not the first, then at least the second time. Just... YES.
Ok, more analytically, why exactly do I love it so much?
Well, for one thing, the lyrics fit Fakir's situation to a T. He was too good to believe in stupid things like faith or trust, too mature; he knew better. The world is not that simple or kind. But he saw people who still believed. He thought them foolish. Over time, though, that changed. And so did he.
For another thing, the tune of the song goes really well with Princess Tutu as a series. The slower ballad or waltz-type songs I feel lend themselves more to the anime's atmosphere in general than a lot of the faster-pace AMVs. Why, exactly, I'm still figuring out. Perhaps it's the grace of ballet, perhaps it's the deeper emotions I feel with some of them. Either way, it works for me.
Then there's the video editing/matching. I don't even know how to best praise it. If I really need to explain, go watch it again! It's right there! Not only do the lyrics fit, but the scenes chosen illustrate much of it perfectly! And some effects are used frequently, but not overwhelmingly, and to specific purpose! Highlighting who he is thinking about or referring to, what exactly his problem is or isn't... Even the simple (ha) dance scenes fit in great! In series, dancing is his thinking time, his forget-the-world or focus-on-something time. The musings of the chorus fit wonderfully with that. And then there's the final chorus. And then there's the last few words. With a major turning point for Fakir in the clips. I just... *flaps hands* I love this.
About the only reason I think someone might not like this would be because of the style of music. I'm not going to get into people's preferences of styles, or try to assume too much, but even if you don't like the rhythm or tune, you cannot ignore the powerful message the lyrics and clips send out. It resonates beautifully, and it will hit your heart every time you watch it.

Overall Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment