Sunday, May 11, 2014

Beyond

All you who love stories, gather round...

Song: "Fairyland" by Angelzoom
Lyrics: lyricsmania
Theme: series tribute of sorts; life within a story crumbling around the characters
Awards: Best Romance/Sentimental at Anime Evolution 2007
Spoilers: Yes



1) Discovery:
One of the first Princess Tutu videos I saw, a friend showed it to me to get me interested in the series. I thought it was fantastic even before seeing the show. After dithering around and finally getting to watching it all, it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten the obvious spoilers seen in here. Going back to the video after watching the series, I love the video even more. Each time I watch it, I can't help but smile and be captivated by it.

2) Review:
I love this video a lot. The opening is beautiful. I was worried about the lettering at first, but it's just fanciful enough for a fairytale and still legible. The 'opening' is also brief enough not to encroach on the video as whole. Each time I watch this video, all of it just seems to resonate more and more, as I see the connections everywhere. First of all, the choice of song is perfect. Even if you can't understand all of the words, the tune and suggested subject matter just match up so well. Once you know the lyrics, it's even better! Second of all, the video editing is excellent. Fast-paced, but fluid. The effects aren't overdone, and give just enough pop to emphasize important points and scenes, and there are some pretty important pieces used! But not overused, even when overlapped. Actually, the overlapping is what gave the poignancy to some places. The smoothness of the music really helps even out some of the drama, or at least connect it all more smoothly, while also giving the grandeur due to such a production. I also love the fact that the video uses scenes from the pre-show mini-stories. The artwork from those bits is so lovely and stylized, and it really gets so little attention or use from in videos. In this video, it's a bit hard to see sometimes, but there are pieces used in faded background in a few important places, and then more obviously some other places. I really appreciate their use, and they are used quite well~
I will say that the ending is a tiny bit rushed, but that makes up such a small portion of the actual video that I can easily overlook it. Once Mytho/Siegfried comes to Rue, it's a bit like 'hey just wrapping things up here.' The pacing of the song tapers off a bit too much to support the pace of the clips, even if they're similarly timed as earlier sequences. But if anything, it gives you a bit of time to go through a reality check and remember 'oh, right - that was a single video that was made by a human.' XD
But I also really love how they did the credits. The piano music really fits wonderfully, and having Duck there... Just lovely~

Overall Rating: 9/10
(disclaimer: I'm not sure how good I am at rating things, especially when I haven't set up an overall standard, so ratings may get more critical as I go on with this)

No comments:

Post a Comment